Fencing in the Goods
Feb. 5, 2009 Durango, Co- With support from Three Springs and the FLC Foundation, students of the Environmental Center erected a six-foot high deer fence around the center’s new garden. The Environmental Center’s Garden at Fort Lewis College is now located between John F. Reed Natural Area and the Community Concert Hall.
Three Springs recognizes the student based organization and their sustainability efforts. Five goals that guide their work are:
1. Creating a Sustainable Campus – To model sustainability for the region by reducing the campus’ ecological footprint.
2. Educating for Action – To promote thoughtful involvement by educating and informing the campus and community about important issues.
3. Connecting Campus and Community – To facilitate partnerships between Fort Lewis faculty, staff, and students and community organizations and initiatives.
4. Facilitating Collaboration – To promote effective problem-solving by building relationships, promoting dialogue, and facilitating cooperation between diverse individuals, agencies and organizations.
5. Building Community – To create a positive, fun community for a large and diverse group of students.
The Environmental Center’s mission and goals are complementary to Three Springs Sustainable Development Program. The Program’s goals are to: create sustainable neighborhoods, educate neighbors and community members alike on environmental responsibility, connect all who live, work, shop, and play within and around the Three Springs neighborhood, facilitate collaboration within the development through networking and responsible building practices, as well as reach out to community members and partners alike to build a strong, and healthy community for generations to come.
This spring, the Environmental Center plans to move their Greenhouse and Teaching Circle closer to the new garden. Additionally, students from the Environmental Center will be volunteering with Three Springs at the Neighborhood Garden. Volunteer projects will include turning and amending soil, building new garden plots and constructing edging from recycled materials from Phoenix Recycling.
Three Springs applauds the Environmental Center’s sustainability efforts and their commitment to cultivating a healthy community. To learn more about the Environmental Center at Fort Lewis College, or to volunteer, click here.