Colorado Green Homes - Responsible Growth & Green Building
For Generations To Come
When you breath life into ideas, it is amazing what can happen. At Three Springs, “sustainability” is not a buzz word. In fact, we know that the word “sustainability” means different things to different people, and so we even shy away from using the word to describe our community.
The innovative solutions for water conservation, energy efficiency, air quality, recycling, education, economic viability and community-building at Three Springs were not afterthoughts. These have always been the original plan in preserving the green homes in the neighborhoods we are creating here. Long-term preservation of this community and its land originated when the land was purchased and planning began in 2001 and 2002.
Visionaries, leaders, builders and planners who have guided the creation of green homes in Three Springs have always had a passion for the bigger picture. The goal has always been to create a place that not only enhances the quality of life for the people today but also for future generations.
Areas that have our full attention include:
- Storm Water and Water Conservation
- Water Quality Management
- Air Quality
- Vehicle Trip Reductions
- Community Education Programs
- Built Green Residential Construction
- LEED Certified Commercial Construction
- Cultural and Historical Evaluations
- Energy Efficiency including passive solar orientation
Continuing Research and Development including investigating geo-thermal opportunities and the use of new, more efficient materials
The Phoenix Recycling Center’s Construction Recycling Center located on a portion of Three Springs land is the first of its kind in the Four Corners. Tons of material is recycled daily not only from the Three Springs construction activity, but from other construction sites across the county. The statistics are amazing (fact sheet .pdf). Landfills are spared tons of waste, materials are reused and made into things like concrete, benches, pavement and more. For more information, please download this story .pdf. We are very pleased to be an innovator in this area and pleased to be working with Phoenix on this very important issue.
Preserving the green homes in Three Springs for generations is a constant pursuit. Innovations occur every day in this area and it is our mission as the developers and builders of this community to stay on top of these and apply those which will assist in meeting our goals.
Jolly Green Giant
Take a look at how our “green” practices are benefiting all those who live, work, shop, and play in the Three Springs neighborhood.
- Over 350 trees and shrubs have been replanted in neighborhood gathering areas.
- 15 Plum Trees have been planted as part of Fort Lewis College’s “Food For Thought” program.
- We’ve collected 1,512 shoes for the “Let-Me-Play, Nike Reuse-A-Shoe” campaign.
- We’re the only neighborhood in Durango with a comprehensive Sustainable Development Program.
- Energy efficient lights have been installed on neighborhood trails and streets to maintain a “Night Sky” atmosphere.
- An aluminum can recycling program was established in the Mercado District of Three Springs to benefit Habitat for Humanity.
- Neighbors at Three Springs utilize the City of Durango’s recycling program.
- Three Springs established a Green Cleaning Program in the Mercado District commercial buildings to provide a clean, safe, and healthy working environment for staff and visitors alike.
- The buildings at 125 and 175 Mercado Street have been built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards set forth by the US Green Building Council.
- Over 77% of our construction waste has been diverted from landfills and recycled instead!
- Homes at Three Springs consume 33% less energy than typical homes built to code.
For a comprehensive look at our sustainability efforts, download the 67 page “Three Springs Sustainable Development Program”.